Can gabapentin cause swelling in legs?
Gabapentin is known to cause lower leg swelling. In studies on patients with shingles, swelling appeared in 8% of the patients taking gabapentin.
Does gabapentin cause fluid retention?
The most common side effects, occurring in 10 percent of participants on gabapentin, were: dizziness. sleepiness. water retention (swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet)
Why does gabapentin cause edema?
Although the exact mechanism of action remains largely unknown, the analgesic effect of gabapentin is thought to be due to γ-aminobutyric acid mimetic and calcium channel-blocking properties. It is well known that calcium channel blockers, especially amlodipine, may cause edema.
Does gabapentin cause swelling of the feet and ankles?
Patients taking Neurontin may experience swelling in the feet and ankles. The presence of lower leg swelling may cause discomfort and impair walking.
Will drinking more water help with edema?
1. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Though it might seem counterintuitive, getting enough fluids actually helps reduce swelling. When your body isn’t hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it does have.
Why is gabapentin bad?
Gabapentin may interact with certain types of substances and cause negative side effects. For example, mixing alcohol and gabapentin can cause people to feel dizzy or tired. Despite the risk of bad side effects of using gabapentin, it can be more dangerous to stop using it. Gabapentin use can cause physical dependence.
How can I avoid weight gain on gabapentin?
Gabapentin may cause weight gain, but it is a rare side effect.
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet.
- Eating smaller portion sizes.
- Avoiding high-calorie snacks and desserts like chips, pastries and sweets.
- Eating low-calorie snacks like fruits and vegetables to manage hunger.
- Getting regular exercise.
Can gabapentin cause lower extremity edema?
Although gabapentin is generally well tolerated, 1 potential reported adverse effect is peripheral edema.
Does gabapentin cause body swelling?
Gabapentin was discontinued and his lower extremity swelling improved over subsequent days. Incidence of pedal edema with gabapentin use is approximately 7 to 7.5% with all studies being in elderly patients receiving doses above 1200 mg/day.
How do I get rid of fluid in my legs and feet?
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Movement. Moving and using the muscles in the part of your body affected by edema, especially your legs, may help pump the excess fluid back toward your heart. …
- Elevation. …
- Massage. …
- Compression. …
- Protection. …
- Reduce salt intake.
How long can you stay on gabapentin?
The risks of withdrawal are higher if you’re taking high doses or have been on gabapentin for longer than 6 weeks.
Is edema in the legs life threatening?
Most of the time, the edema is not a serious illness, but it may be a sign for one. Here are some examples: Venous insufficiency can cause edema in the feet and ankles, because the veins are having trouble transporting enough blood all the way to the feet and back to the heart.
What to eat to reduce swelling in feet?
Extra water in fruits can reduce foot swelling by flushing out extra water. Other vegetables, like cucumber and asparagus, are natural directs that eliminate water in your body. Drinking lots of water will also help your foot and ankle mobility with less swelling.
What are the most serious side effects of gabapentin?
Gabapentin may also cause some serious side effects.
- violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger.
- anxiousness or restlessness.
- anxiety that is new or worse.
- depression that is new or worse.
- irritability that is new or worse.
- panic attacks.
- suicidal thoughts or behavior.
How long should I take gabapentin for nerve pain?
How long will gabapentin take to work? You should notice that your pain starts to improve over one to two weeks after starting gabapentin, but it may take longer in some people. However, some feel benefit straight away. Your treatment will be reviewed when you next see the doctor or nurse.