Gabapentin is known to cause lower leg swelling. In studies on patients with shingles, swelling appeared in 8% of the patients taking gabapentin.
Is fluid retention A side effect of gabapentin?
The most common side effects, occurring in 10 percent of participants on gabapentin, were: dizziness. sleepiness. water retention (swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet)
Why does gabapentin cause edema?
Although the exact mechanism of action remains largely unknown, the analgesic effect of gabapentin is thought to be due to γ-aminobutyric acid mimetic and calcium channel-blocking properties. It is well known that calcium channel blockers, especially amlodipine, may cause edema.
Can gabapentin cause foot swelling?
Patients taking Neurontin may experience swelling in the feet and ankles. The presence of lower leg swelling may cause discomfort and impair walking.
Does gabapentin cause joint swelling?
swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs. trembling or shaking.
What are the worst side effects of gabapentin?
Serious side effects
- violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger.
- anxiousness or restlessness.
- anxiety that is new or worse.
- depression that is new or worse.
- irritability that is new or worse.
- panic attacks.
- suicidal thoughts or behavior.
Why is gabapentin bad?
Gabapentin may interact with certain types of substances and cause negative side effects. For example, mixing alcohol and gabapentin can cause people to feel dizzy or tired. Despite the risk of bad side effects of using gabapentin, it can be more dangerous to stop using it. Gabapentin use can cause physical dependence.
Will drinking more water help with edema?
1. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Though it might seem counterintuitive, getting enough fluids actually helps reduce swelling. When your body isn’t hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it does have.
Can gabapentin cause lower extremity edema?
Although gabapentin is generally well tolerated, 1 potential reported adverse effect is peripheral edema.
How do I get rid of fluid in my legs and feet?
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Movement. Moving and using the muscles in the part of your body affected by edema, especially your legs, may help pump the excess fluid back toward your heart. …
- Elevation. …
- Massage. …
- Compression. …
- Protection. …
- Reduce salt intake.
What to eat to reduce swelling in feet?
Extra water in fruits can reduce foot swelling by flushing out extra water. Other vegetables, like cucumber and asparagus, are natural directs that eliminate water in your body. Drinking lots of water will also help your foot and ankle mobility with less swelling.
How long should I take gabapentin for nerve pain?
How long will gabapentin take to work? You should notice that your pain starts to improve over one to two weeks after starting gabapentin, but it may take longer in some people. However, some feel benefit straight away. Your treatment will be reviewed when you next see the doctor or nurse.
What medications cause leg swelling?
Many medicines can cause edema, including:
- NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen and naproxen)
- Calcium channel blockers.
- Corticosteroids (like prednisone and methylprednisolone)
- Pioglitazone and rosiglitazone.
How long can you stay on gabapentin?
The risks of withdrawal are higher if you’re taking high doses or have been on gabapentin for longer than 6 weeks.
How can I avoid weight gain on gabapentin?
Gabapentin may cause weight gain, but it is a rare side effect.
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet.
- Eating smaller portion sizes.
- Avoiding high-calorie snacks and desserts like chips, pastries and sweets.
- Eating low-calorie snacks like fruits and vegetables to manage hunger.
- Getting regular exercise.
Can gabapentin cause bladder problems?
To the best of our knowledge, the literature includes just 5 cases of gabapentin-induced incontinence, 3 of which involved both rectal and urinary incontinence and 2 involved only urinary incontinence. In all cases, incontinence occurred after 1–4 weeks of gabapentin treatment at dosages of 600–3600 mg/day.