Gabapentin (Neurontin) is used to treat nerve pain, which often occurs after shingles (known as postherpetic neuralgia) or as a result of nerve damage from diabetes (diabetic peripheral neuropathy). Gabapentin is known to cause lower leg swelling.
Does gabapentin cause fluid retention?
The most common side effects, occurring in 10 percent of participants on gabapentin, were: dizziness. sleepiness. water retention (swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet)
Why does gabapentin cause edema?
Although the exact mechanism of action remains largely unknown, the analgesic effect of gabapentin is thought to be due to γ-aminobutyric acid mimetic and calcium channel-blocking properties. It is well known that calcium channel blockers, especially amlodipine, may cause edema.
Can gabapentin cause joint swelling?
swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs. trembling or shaking.
What medications can cause swollen feet and ankles?
Medications that may cause the feet to swell include:
- hormones, such as estrogen and testosterone.
- calcium-channel blockers that help control blood pressure.
- steroids, both androgenic and anabolic, and corticosteroids.
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- medication to help manage diabetes.
Can gabapentin make feet swell?
Patients taking Neurontin may experience swelling in the feet and ankles. The presence of lower leg swelling may cause discomfort and impair walking.
How long can you stay on gabapentin?
The risks of withdrawal are higher if you’re taking high doses or have been on gabapentin for longer than 6 weeks.
Will drinking more water help with edema?
1. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Though it might seem counterintuitive, getting enough fluids actually helps reduce swelling. When your body isn’t hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it does have.
Can gabapentin cause lower extremity edema?
Although gabapentin is generally well tolerated, 1 potential reported adverse effect is peripheral edema.
How do I get rid of fluid in my legs and feet?
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Movement. Moving and using the muscles in the part of your body affected by edema, especially your legs, may help pump the excess fluid back toward your heart. …
- Elevation. …
- Massage. …
- Compression. …
- Protection. …
- Reduce salt intake.
What are the most serious side effects of gabapentin?
Gabapentin may also cause some serious side effects.
- violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger.
- anxiousness or restlessness.
- anxiety that is new or worse.
- depression that is new or worse.
- irritability that is new or worse.
- panic attacks.
- suicidal thoughts or behavior.
Why is gabapentin bad?
Gabapentin may interact with certain types of substances and cause negative side effects. For example, mixing alcohol and gabapentin can cause people to feel dizzy or tired. Despite the risk of bad side effects of using gabapentin, it can be more dangerous to stop using it. Gabapentin use can cause physical dependence.
Can gabapentin cause bladder problems?
To the best of our knowledge, the literature includes just 5 cases of gabapentin-induced incontinence, 3 of which involved both rectal and urinary incontinence and 2 involved only urinary incontinence. In all cases, incontinence occurred after 1–4 weeks of gabapentin treatment at dosages of 600–3600 mg/day.
How do you get rid of swollen ankles fast?
7 Helpful Ways to Reduce Swollen Feet and Ankles
- Walk it Out. …
- Drink Lots of Water. …
- Sleep on Your Side. …
- Enjoy Some Pool Time. …
- Limit Your Salt. …
- Wear Compression Socks. …
- Elevate Your Feet.
What to eat to reduce swelling in feet?
Extra water in fruits can reduce foot swelling by flushing out extra water. Other vegetables, like cucumber and asparagus, are natural directs that eliminate water in your body. Drinking lots of water will also help your foot and ankle mobility with less swelling.
Does walking help swollen ankles?
Simple changes to reduce or prevent swelling
You can make small changes to your everyday life to help reduce swelling: Take a short walk every hour. Drink eight to 10 glasses of water daily. Drinking less actually promotes swelling.